Monday, February 06, 2006

It's All About the Music

I borrowed this from Neena Love (check her out under Real Talk), because (1) I thought it was cute, (2) ya'll know me and music are involved in a hot love affair, and (3) I'm being lazy today. Eat my shorts if you don't like it.

1. Favorite political track: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, Gil Scott Heron

Hands down, the first song to REALLY awaken my consciousness when I was younger

2. Song that makes you dance no matter what? (Not Just) Knee Deep, Funkadelic

I can still remember dancing on the basketball court to this song at our sixth grade dance, even if I had to dance with Troy Taylor’s goblin-lookin’ ass.

3. Song you'd use to tell someone you love them Am I Dreaming?, Atlantic Starr

Pinch me to see if it’s real/Cuz my mind can’t decide -- how’s that for love?

4. Song that has made you sit down to analyze its lyrics? Queen of Sanity, Bilal

Bilal fucks me up with this one, in too many ways. Matter of fact, I’m going to sit down with this song again tonight.

5. Song you like that a two year old would like. Check Up On It, Beyonce

The beat's not hard to find on this one...

6. A song you and your grandparents would like Love & Happiness, Al Green

This was one of my Nonie’s favorite songs. We thought about playing it at her funeral, and we should have. Make you do wrong/make you do rightttttt... I can still see her liftin’ her Colt 45 up to drink to that line.

7. A song that gives you an energy boost: Rejoice, Israel Houghton & New Breed

Even the unholiest of heathens feels the spirit on this one.

8. Song you really liked when you were 13-16 that you really like now: Jukebox Hero, Foreigner

. . . that was back when I played the air guitar professionally, yanno.

9. A sad song that would be in the soundtrack of the movie about your life: While You Were Here, Eric Benet

And now the foolish boy has grown
Into this man I'm sorry you've never known
I'm not afraid to love
'Cause every beat of my heart
Echoes all those memories from way back when
And the man I should have been

*sigh*


Song just tears me up. Reminds me of my boyfriend Poo (R.I.P.) that died in the summer of 1996. Beautiful soul, he was . . . he is.

10. Peppy song that would start the opening credits in the movie of your life:Simple Things, Minnie Riperton

Profound in it’s simplicity. Makes you feel guilty for taking yourself so seriously.

11. A good song from a genre of music that no one would guess you liked: See Line Woman, folk standard

Nina’s diverse, what can I say?

12. Song that you think should have been playing when you were born:The Prototype, OutKast

Well it should have!

13. Favorite duet artists: Angela Winbush and Ronald Isley

Lay Your Troubles Down just gives me goosebumps. The perfect coordination of vocals.

14. A favorite song you completely disagree with: Grillz, Nelly

Nina don't fuck with no metal-mouths, so you know it’s oxymoronic for me to be drivin' down the street, singing, Smile for me, daddy . . .let me see your grill . . .

15. Song that you like despite the fact your IQ level drops several points every time you listen to it: Back Then, Mike Jones

I feel dumb just typing it.

16. Smooth song for relaxing Sweet Water, Craig T. Cooper

Off the top of my head cuz I just heard it earlier today, but Craig gives it to you.

17. A song you would send to someone you hateWhen A Woman’s Heart is Broken, Sparkle

Beautiful rendition of "overness."

18. Favorite track from a band considered a "super group" I’ll Write A Song For You, Earth Wind & Fire

Wanna hear me hit the high note?

19. A song that makes you reminisce about good times with a family memberCan’t Stay Away, Bootsy’s Rubber Band

This is a staple during the Millimeter Sisters Sing-A-Long every weekend. They don’t ever let me sing lead though.

20. Your favorite song right now: Yo (Excuse Me Miss), Chris Brown

Man . . . if I was 16 years olddddddd . . . Chris Brown could GET.IT. Frequently. Fervently. And with vigor. Ya heard?
|

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't actually read it yet, as I am engaging in my own small protest of your laziness. And no, I won't eat your shorts, I'll simply complain and let it be. So, now that I've voiced my protest I'll go back and read this and the other one I missed.

February 08, 2006 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now I've read the post, and I take back my previous complaint. You're a funny fugger, Nina. LMAO@ the Mike Jones reference. Oh, and Nina...the prototype? You got more confidence than a little bit, no? hahaha

February 08, 2006 12:17 PM  
Blogger EJ Flavors said...

now see what happens when you leave a comment? i come over here and have the time of my life! where you been?! i'm down with The Freaquency now.

and see, it gets even better: this list you just published has officially made my life about 10 times brighter. that's a lotta reminiscing i'm talkin' bout (to say nothing about the next OSW or IR.)

enough yappin'. carry on Nina, carry on!

February 08, 2006 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog's great but i thought i'd mention that "(not just) Knee Deep" is by Funkadelic, not Parliament. Just keep on keepin on girl

February 15, 2006 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. By the time "Knee Deep" came out, Parliament and Funkadelic were essentially the same band, so no biggie.

2. I'm gonna have to boost this idea from you.

February 15, 2006 7:37 AM  
Blogger Nina MM said...

A fool despises correction.

Thanks Anon for pointin' out my p-funk faux pas. I definitely should know better, but I couldn't remember which album Knee Deep was on and didn't feel like lookin' it up. But it was on Uncle Jam Wants You, which was...Funkadelic.

I've changed the mistake in my entry.

Good lookin' out to both you and Bomani (thanks for giving me a pass on that one, babe! LOL) -- because Nina loves to be right and exact!

February 15, 2006 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home