Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Happiness



Talkin' 'bout that happiness
Whole lot of lovin' without the stress
You're not my only, but my favorite
I tried to let go but I can't forget...
-- Jaheim

Ok...so O's lovesick ass comes traipsing over here tryna spread love, instead of spreadin' lies...

And I dare say he challenged me to talk about happy shit.

I'ma try. Ain't too happy right now though. I'm just a'ight.

But here goes...

There are some of the things, upon flitting across the backs of my eyelids, evoke a smile in me. A smile deep down inside of me. Might not show. But I like these things. Not quite sure if they meet the threshold of "happy," but fuck it.

Best I can do right now.

Looking at Daddy's snaggle-tooth smile, with his missing front tooth.

Teaching my niece how to put her fist up and say "White Power!" To white people.

Cheese grits. (My southern momma would never DARE let us put cheese in our grits, so this novelty is quite new for me)

Talking shit across a spades or dominoes game.

Newports.

Having something new in the closet, tags still on, and no particular place to wear it. Just have it.

Cold pillowcases.

Getting stuck on a groove. (Like right now, I'm so stuck to Van Hunt's "Suspicion," it's sickening. I can't listen to anything else.)

Finding money in my hamper.

That first swig of ice-cold Gatorade.

The touch of my freshly-shaved legs.

Supported silence. (Ask me about that another day)

The comforting voice of a true friend.

Gain detergent.


Welp, O. You can die, having lived a truly fulfilled life now.

Nina got some shit that makes her smile. You ain't got the lock on joy!

|

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, very nice. It warms the depths of my soul to see you blogging about things that make you happy-ish. And though I have no plans to die any time soon, I am sure I can cross this off my list of 1 million things to do before my number's called.

Oh, and I'm glad that Nina wrote in that truly Nina-esque, dry-witted way that made even the happiness a little edgy. Wouldn't be Nina, err Nina's blog persona, without it!

August 02, 2006 8:33 PM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

I'ma second that finding money...I keep finding finsky's in my pockets and despite it not being alot finding folding money always changes my morning.

August 03, 2006 12:10 PM  
Blogger Fresh said...

You getting soft, sis. LOL

August 03, 2006 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm...cheese grits. I'm mad this is new to you. I can't eat them any other way.

And I feel you on Gain detergent. If I was an addict, I'd snort that shit with the goal of overdosing...lol

August 03, 2006 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

gain detergent......wow..learning about cheese grits...

August 04, 2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Sonnyredd said...

Negrahs...You turn on they lights and they skip town.

August 08, 2006 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home